A chemical peel is a skin treatment that works to restore and rejuvenate your skin. It helps clear scars and discolourations with the use of glycolic acid. A very thin part of the top layer of your skin peels off revealing a clearer layer of skin. The treatment comes in a variety of mild and more intense peeling sessions that are customised for your desires.
Benefits of a chemical peel
- Treats acne.
- Helps clear mild scars and imperfections.
- Reduces skin pigmentation and evens-out skin tone.
- Refines skin texture.
- Improves the appearance of large pores.
- Increases the absorption of skin products.
How often do I need a chemical peel?
The general recommendation is 6 session within a period of 4 to 6 weeks or a space of 4 weeks if you suffer from acne. Your skin will be temporarily sensitive to the sun after your chemical peel and you will need to wear a broad spectrum SPF. Dr Ayanda Motau can recommend a sunscreen that will best suit your skin tone. You should continue to wear sunscreen to protect your skin even if you have not had this treatment.
Am I a candidate for a chemical peel?
You are a chemical peel candidate if you have unwanted skin pigmentation, discolourations and similar skin problems you want to improve. Your skin tone and the extent of the scarring and pigmentation will have an effect on your treatment process and your results. More severe wrinkles, skin sags and bulges do not respond well to chemical peels. Dr Ayanda Motau will help you determine what a better and effective solution is available for you.
What should I mention before the procedure?
- A history of scaring.
- Recurring cold sores.
- Any recent facial X-rays.
What can I expect after the procedure?
- A reaction similar to sunburn will occur.
- Redness followed by scaling which ends within a week.
- Peeling may result in some swelling blisters that break later.
- A change in colour to brown that will peel off over a period of two weeks.